Albany, NY 12207
- State of New York
- S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- Albany Law School, J.D., cum laude
- Associate Editor of the Albany Law Review
- State University of New York at New Paltz, B.S., Electrical Engineering
Michael Hoffman is a patent attorney with over 20 years of experience in patent prosecution, with a focus on computer related inventions. Michael’s practice spans a broad array of technologies including computer system architecture, software, cloud-based systems, computer networks, artificial intelligence, cognitive learning, data storage, business methods, social media, user experience, signal processing, electrical circuits, and semiconductor processing.
Michael’s clients include Fortune 500 clients, universities, midsize clients, and startups. In addition to having filed and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications, Michael’s practice also includes counseling clients in trademark matters, including opposition and cancellation proceedings, patent re-examination proceedings, licensing, infringement opinions, and intellectual property strategies. Michael works closely with the local startup community, and his involvement includes:
- Membership of Entrepreneurs Organization (EO) for over twelve years, including serving on the board of the Albany New York Chapter.
- Volunteering his time for various regional accelerator programs including the Siena College Stack Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship and IgniteU.
- Being an active member of the local startup community and sponsoring events such as Startup Tech Valley.
- Guest speaking for students studying entrepreneurship at Albany Law School, RPI, UAlbany, and Siena College.
- Writing articles on such topics as “Designing an Entrepreneurial Strategy,“ “Licensing Your Software Products“ and “Signed Contract Ensures Software Ownership“.
- Inventor of US Patent 10,162,519 entitled “Virtual Content Wheel”
Before co-founding Hoffman Warnick LLC, Michael held the title of Senior Software Engineer with Intermetrics Microsystems Software in Cambridge, MA, and Systems Engineer with Electronic Data Systems in Troy, MI. Michael continues to utilize his experience with computer, software and electrical technologies to further the goals of a wide range of technology-based clients.
Michael is a recipient of The Capital District Business Review’s 2004 “40 Under Forty” award, which recognizes the brightest up-and-coming young members of the Capital Region business community. In addition, he has served on the Advisory Board at Albany Law School’s Center for Innovation and Law, and serves as a Board Member for the Northeast New York Chapter of the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDRF).
- New York State Bar Association
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- Entrepreneurs Organization