V-Card: Stephen F Swinton
Albany, NY 12207
- State of New York
- United States Patent & Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
- Albany Law School, J.D.,
- University at Albany, M.A., biological anthropology
- Siena College, B.S., biology with chemistry concentration
Stephen F. Swinton, Jr.
Stephen Swinton’s practice encompasses a broad range of intellectual property law matters, including patent and trademark prosecution, copyright protection and counseling, opinions, due diligence analysis, and intellectual property licensing. Steve represents a wide variety of corporate clients, with a special focus in the biological and chemical sciences and leads the firm’s biotechnology and chemical group. He also has a strong background in forensics and DNA technology, having served as the Supervisor of DNA Services with the New York State Police, and is still called to testify as an expert witness in criminal cases. Steve is a Partner of Hoffman Warnick, joining the firm in 2003 and being named a partner in 2007.
Steve is committed to delivering high-quality, focused IP legal services. His responsive style and experience in the field helps corporations and institutions break down challenges into easily consumable steps. A sampling of clients Steve has worked with over the years include:
- Vanda Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Pfizer, Inc.
- GeneCodes, Inc.
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
Steve is committed to the communities in which he lives and works. He served as a member of his local board of education, as co-president of the local Parent Teacher Organization (PTO), co-president of the PTO council, and in various appointed and elected governmental positions. Steve is a member of the Unified Court System’s local courts advisory committee and chairs its penal law subcommittee.
- Authored an infringement opinion for a large consumer products corporation. During subsequent litigation, the claim construction set out in the opinion was adopted by the judge, resulting in a settlement between the parties
- Represented a small client in a successful trademark dispute with a multi-national Fortune 500 company
- March 2016 “IP 101: Intellectual Property Law for the Non-IP Attorney” CLE presentation
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Schenectady County Bar Association
- New York State Magistrates Association
- Schenectady County Magistrates Association, treasurer
- New York State Justice Task Force Forensics Subcommittee