Albany, NY 12207
- State of New York
- United States Patent and Trademark Office
- University of New Hampshire School of Law (formerly Franklin Pierce Law Center), J.D.
- Notes and Comments Editor, IDEA: The Intellectual Property Law Review
- Graduate of Daniel Webster Scholar Honors Program
- Clarkson University, B.S., Interdisciplinary Engineering & Management (iE&M)
- Sigma Tau lota (iE&M Honor Society)
Matthew J. Kinnier
Matthew Kinnier’s practice focuses on patent portfolio management, including U.S. patents and coordination of filings outside the United States. In patent law, Matt’s work spans several technology areas including electronics engineering, integrated circuit (IC) manufacture, power generation systems, mechanical devices, integrated software systems, manufacturing and testing equipment, control systems, business methods, integrated and rehabilitative systems. Matt also counsels clients through the process of registering and expanding their trademark portfolios, in addition to opposing deceptively similar trademarks sought by their competitors. Matt also advises clients on trademark enforcement and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) proceedings. Matt is dedicated to working with clients to understand the goals and challenges of each technology’s underlying business strategy. Matt prioritizes responsiveness and thoroughness to help clients navigate the ever-changing intellectual property landscape. Some of the legal services Matt provides include:
- Patent application preparation and prosecution
- Patent assertion and early-stage enforcement
- Trademark registration and renewal
- Trademark assertion and licensing
- TTAB administrative litigation
- Intellectual property licensing
- Intellectual property strategy
- Filing and managing large patent application portfolios during their pendency in the United States and abroad.
- Advising clients of how to maximize their protection in those portfolios.
- Filing and managing trademark portfolios for large and small businesses, and ensuring comprehensive brand protection for product lines marketed globally and in the United States.
- Designing comprehensive intellectual property agreements, including non-disclosure agreements, licenses, and settlement agreements.
- Helping small businesses and startups implement best practices for protecting intellectual property, and driving growth.
- Representing businesses in disputes over trademark rights, including proceedings before the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO).
- Bi-annual intellectual property law panelist at Albany Chamber of Commerce “Entrepreneur Boot Camp” program
- “The Rapidly Changing Patent Law Landscape: What Entrepreneurs, Investors, Inventors, Lawyers and Judges Need to Know,” presented by New York Intellectual Property Law Association (NYIPLA); March 2015
- Grant Submissions and Novelty: A Catch-22 for Startups, Boston Patent Law Newsletter, April 2016 (Co-authored with Amanda Smith)
- Unlocking Federal Research through Government-Funded Technology Transfer, Intellectual Property Today, June 2014 (Co-authored with Amanda Smith)
- Patent Trolls Beware: New Anti-Trolling Legislation on the Horizon, Intellectual Property Today, March 2014 (Co-authored with Daniel Carter)